Dr. Livingston Armytage has more than 40 years of professional experience in justice. He has served as senior counsel, project director and team leader on ADB, AusAID, UN, World Bank and USAID projects in more than 30 countries: Afghanistan, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Haiti, the Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, the Pacific, Pakistan, Palestine, Papua New Guinea, Vietnam.
He is Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Sydney, and is a Visiting Fellow at Cambridge University.
Dr. Armytage has presented seminars at Harvard, Oxford, Cambridge, SOAS and UC Berkeley.
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Sydney
- PhD in Law — Reforming Justice: The Journey to Fairness —
3 Case Studies from Asia
- Sydney University Medal for Outstanding Postgraduate Research in Law
- Master of Laws – First Class Honours, University of Sydney
- International Human Rights Law Program, New College, University of Oxford
- Barrister and Solicitor, Australia
- Project leader, strategic advisor and technical specialist on ADB, AusAID, UNDP, World Bank and USAID legal projects in Pakistan, Nepal, Maldives, Cambodia, Vietnam, Haiti, Palestine, Mongolia, People’s Republic of China, Philippines, Vietnam and the Pacific Region
- Consultant to courts throughout the United States and Australia
- Author of “Reforming Justice – A Journey to Fairness in Asia“, “Searching for Success in Judicial Reform” and “Educating Judges“, and numerous referred articles
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Convener/Presenter of the postgraduate course: “Law, Justice and Development” in the LLM program at the University of Sydney.
- Education Director of Judicial Commission of New South Wales, 1991-1996
- Presenter and participant at international conferences including the International Bar Association (IBA), LAWASIA, National Association of State Judicial Educators (NASJE), Commonwealth Judges & Magistrates Association (CMJA), and Australian Institute of Judicial Administration (AIJA)
- Contributor to international journals, such as The Modern Law Review and the Commonwealth Judges Journal, as well as the University of NSW Law Journal
- Independent reviewer for the Global Corruption Report of Transparency International 2007
- Founding editor of The Judicial Review, a journal for judges
- Member of the Australian Law Reform Commission’s working group on the adversarial system, and sits on the board of the University of West Sydney
- Instructor in the MBA program of the Graduate School of Management
In recent years, Dr Armytage has worked in and with institutions in the following countries: